Thursday, November 8, 2012

Moro's Second Piece "3.11 Experience- Interview with a Boy in Tohoku"


Author’s Note:
This spring I went to Kesennuma Oshima in Miyagi prefecture in Tohoku (the northeastern part of Japan where the big earthquakes and tsunami occurred on 3.11) to do some volunteer work, and had an opportunity to interview one boy who experienced the disastrous situation. I thought it was very meaningful and important for me to be able to hear the actual voice of local people in Tohoku, so I want to share this experience on this occasion and want many people to know the real story of 3.11.

I tried writing an interview piece with a conversation style, because I wanted you to feel as if you were in the very place of interview with me. (At first, I wrote this piece with a question-and-answer style, but it was just simple and boring, so I made my mind and revised it so much. I think I made a good choice.) It was very difficult for me to make the conversation flow naturally, since I didn't remember the exact conversation with the boy or didn't record it. Part of the conversation might be a little awkward (since I'm not an English native speaker!), but I am confident that I did my best to describe our atmosphere at the interview. I hope that everyone that reads this piece will have stimulation or get inspired by a little boy, and he/she will feel like going to Tohoku to help the people there, not only as a volunteer but also as a tourist.

Thank you very much for your helpful advice, Mark and Risa.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bwd7SaNocZUrbFpnUUZPX3lwdmc



No comments:

Post a Comment