Monday, October 22, 2012

Moro's First Piece "Animal vs. Human"

Author's Note:

This is a simple poem that combines two opposite points of view; animal's view of human world vs. human's view of animal world. At first, when I was wondering what kind of topic I would write about, I was going to write about the history of my pets in personal narrative because I love animals and my pets. However, as I wrote about it, my idea about animals (especially pets) developed naturally and I just got curious about animals' feeling toward their everyday lives. What do animals consider every day and how do they feel about humans' lives? I found it quite interesting to think about the new perspective completely different from ours, and I felt like writing about humans' perspective too on this occasion. Also, I had never written any poems in my life, so I wanted to challenge myself and decided to give it a try.

Here is a link to my first piece.
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1yKd_ZNufImZ5XSJT7i04U0OCu103-V5R_n3RxXDYXDg

The theme of this poem is "One tends to envy others, but finally realizes that one is glad to be oneself." Although my poem focuses on the relationship between animals and humans, I think that what is described here can be applied to any relationship between one and others. Animals are animals, and humans are humans. That's it. We do not have to compare them. Exactly the same things can be said about each person. It is important to accept what one is and appreciate the value of being alive.

It was very difficult for me to make rhythms and rhymes for each line, but I managed to make it sound at least smooth thanks to the great help from Ryo, Saya, and Mark. Ryo encouraged me to use simple words and make it more poetic. Saya provided me with a new insight by saying, "Your poem reminds me of the famous poem, `Watashi to Kotori to Suzu to' by Misuzu Kaneko." I did not notice it at all while I was writing this poem, so it was actually interesting. Thank you for your helpful advice, Ryo and Saya.

When you read this poem, please try to read it aloud so that you can feel the sense of the rhythms. Enjoy exploring both animal world and human world!

1 comment:

  1. Humans life, humans world

    Much harder and busier

    It seems.

    Ugly side of humans

    I found.

    Nothing old, and

    Nothing to stop.

    Glad to be born as an animal

    I realized.

    ------------
    Moro,
    I love these lines at the end of the animal part. The end of the human part is also full of reflection and sentiment. Thanks for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete